Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Book Review: What Can We Know About God?

What Can We Know About God? R.C. Sproul. 2017. Reformation Trust. 53 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Several years ago, a well-known Christian school invited me to address the faculty and administration on this question: “What is a Christian college or university?” Upon my arrival, the dean gave me a tour of the campus. During the tour, I noticed this inscription on a set of office doors: “Department of Religion.” When it came time to address the faculty that evening, I mentioned the inscription I had seen, and I asked whether the department had always been called by that name. An older faculty member replied that years ago the department had been called the “Department of Theology.” No one could tell me why the department name had been changed.

What Can We Know About God? is the twenty-seventh book in the Crucial Questions series by R.C. Sproul. Many of the books in this series are available as free ebooks for kindle. Most of the books are quite short. This is probably for the best since not every believer is an active reader. What Can We Know about God? is even shorter, in my opinion, than some of the other books in the series. If I'd been writing the book, it would have been even shorter.

The question Sproul asks is: What Can We Know About God?

The answer Sproul gives is essentially: What we can know about God is what God has revealed to us within his Holy Word. Sproul then begins an extremely basic review of a few of the attributes of God which we learn through Scripture.

Sproul has written other books--longer books, more detailed books--that address these same questions. The book feels very familiar, like I've read it before--from Sproul--in nearly the same words. That is possible. I've heard a lot of sermons by Sproul. I've read a handful of books written by Sproul.

I would recommend this one to Christians who are not big readers but who genuinely have questions about the faith.

Favorite quotes:
God does not speak to us in His language; He speaks to us in ours. And because He speaks to us in the only language we can understand, we are able to grasp it.
God is never required to be merciful or gracious. The moment we think that God owes us grace or mercy, we are no longer thinking about grace or mercy. Our minds tend to trip there so that we confuse mercy and grace with justice. Justice may be owed, but mercy and grace are always voluntary.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: