Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Book Review: The Promise of Dawn

The Promise of Dawn. Lauraine Snelling. 2017. Bethany House. 386 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Mor, a letter from Amerika!

Premise/plot: Signe and Rune travel with their three sons to America, to Minnesota, to help out their relatives, Uncle Einar and Aunt Gird. It won't be easy: not the journey, not the settling in, not the work. Uncle Einar and Aunt Gird are each difficult and demanding in their own ways. Aunt Gird is bed-ridden and incapable of doing anything for herself or for anyone else. Uncle Einar, well, he's strong and capable--of almost anything but being kind and considerate. It will take all their strength and courage to survive in their new environment. Einar is a logger, and, he wants Rune and at least the oldest boy--if not the two eldest--to give 110% sunup to sundown.

My thoughts: I need to read more Snelling. I do. I haven't read nearly enough. I believe this series will--sooner or later--connect to some of her other books.

It's set in 1909, I believe. And the pioneer way of life is anything but dead. Reading this one reminded me of the Little House books or some of Oke's earlier work. Signe has a house to manage, and it's a 24 hour job, an often thankless job. She's also pregnant. The family is very well-developed, as is the community.

I would definitely recommend this one!

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: