Friday, December 29, 2017

My Autumn with Psalm 119 #34

I will be continuing on in my study of Psalm 119 this autumn. I have spent months reading Thomas Manton's exposition of Psalm 119. In December, I hope to cover the next sixteen verses of Psalm 119.

49 Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope.
50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.
51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law.
52 I remember, Lord, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them.
53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.
54 Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge.
55 In the night, Lord, I remember your name, that I may keep your law.
56 This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.
57 You are my portion, Lord; I have promised to obey your words.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
64 The earth is filled with your love, Lord; teach me your decrees.

Sermon 72 (Psalm 119:64)


  • The sum and substance of this verse will be comprised in these five propositions:— 1. That saving knowledge is a benefit that must be asked of God. 2. That this benefit cannot be too often or sufficiently enough asked; it is his continual request. 3. In asking we are encouraged by the bounty or mercy of God. 4. That God is merciful all his creatures declare. 5. That his goodness to all creatures should confirm us in hoping for saving grace or spiritual good things.
  • Prop. 1. That saving knowledge is a benefit that must be asked of God, for three reasons:— 1. God is the proper author of it. 2. It is a singular favour where he bestoweth it. 3. Prayer is the appointed means to obtain it.
  • That is the highest argument of friendship, not to give you wealth, and honour, and greatness, but to give you an enlightened mind and a renewed heart.
  • Let us not study without prayer, nor you hear without prayer, nor go about any business in your general and particular callings without prayer.
  • We never know so much but we may know more of God’s mind, and know it better and to better purpose.
  • The throne of grace lieth always open; the oftener we frequent it, the more welcome.
  • The Lord filleth up his servants’ lives with great and various mercies, even in their warfare and pilgrimage here in this world; abundance of invaluable mercies, that if we do but consider what we do receive, we must needs be confirmed in this truth by our own senses.
  • Everything is a mercy to a vessel of mercy.
  • Man can turn his eye nowhere but in every place and quarter of the world he shall see plain testimonies of God’s mercy. But alas! how much of this is lost and passed over for want of observation!
  • Our misery lieth in the ignorance of God and the transgression of his law; our happiness in being enlightened and sanctified by the Spirit of wisdom and understanding.
  • The devil seeks to weaken our opinion of God’s goodness; he thought to possess our first parents with this conceit, that God was envious, so as to draw them away from God.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: