Monday, December 25, 2017

My Autumn with Psalm 119 #32

I will be continuing on in my study of Psalm 119 this autumn. I have spent months reading Thomas Manton's exposition of Psalm 119. In December, I hope to cover the next sixteen verses of Psalm 119.

49 Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope.
50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.
51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law.
52 I remember, Lord, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them.
53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.
54 Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge.
55 In the night, Lord, I remember your name, that I may keep your law.
56 This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.
57 You are my portion, Lord; I have promised to obey your words.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
64 The earth is filled with your love, Lord; teach me your decrees.

Sermon 69 (Psalm 119:61)

  • Doct. That no temporal loss which can accrue to us by the violence of evil men should make us forsake our duty to God.
  • True faith includes in it an election and choice or esteem and valuation of Christ, not only as good, but as more excellent, more necessary for us, more beneficial to us than all other things.
  • Religion without self-denial in one kind or another is Christianity of our own making, not of Christ’s.
  • We cull out the easy safe part of religion, and then we call this love to God and love to Christ. No; the true Christian love is to love God above all. Now, one branch of loving God above all is to part with things near and dear to us when God calleth us so to do.
  • The victory of a Christian doth not consist in not suffering, or not fighting, but in keeping that which we fight for.
  • The way to conquer is by patience and zeal, though we be trodden down and ruined; not by getting the best of opposite factions, but by keeping a good conscience, and patience, and contentedness in sufferings.
  • If God be honoured, if the kingdom of Christ be advanced by our sufferings, we are victorious.
  • Our victory is not to be measured by our prosperity and adversity, but our faithful adherence to God. Though the devil and his instruments get their will over our bodies and bodily interests, yet if he get not his will over our souls, we conquer, and not Satan.
  • Heavenly things can never be taken from their owners.

Sermon 70 (Psalm 119:62)

  • Doct. 1. One special duty wherein the people of God should be much exercised is thanksgiving. 
  • Doct. 2. That, God’s providence rightly considered, we shall in the worst times find much more cause to give thanks than to complain. 
  • Doct. 3. That a heart deeply affected with God’s providence will take all occasions to praise God and give thanks to his name, both in season and out of season.
  • Thanksgiving may be in word or deed; praise in words only.
  • The mercies of every day make way for songs which may sweeten our rest in the night; and his giving us rest by night, and preserving us in our sleep, when we could not help ourselves, giveth us songs in the morning. And all the day long we find new matter of praise: our whole work is divided between receiving and acknowledging.
  • Some mercies are so general and beneficial that they should never be forgotten, but remembered before God every day.
  • Faith and praise live and die together; if there be faith, there will be praise; and if there be praise, there will be faith. If faith, there will be praise, for faith is a bird that can sing in winter.
  • Praise and thanksgiving is an act of love, and then it cherisheth and feedeth love. It is an act of love to God, for if we love God we will praise him. Prayer is a work of necessity, but praise a mere work of duty and respect to God.
  • We pray because we need God, and we praise him because we love him.
  • Can you receive so much, and beg so much, and never think of a return or any expression of gratitude? Is there such a being as God, have you all your supplies from him, and will you not take some time to acknowledge what he hath done for your souls? Have you received nothing from God? I put this question to you, because great is our unthankfulness, not only for common benefits, but also for special deliverances—the one not noted and observed, the other not improved.
  • Surely a sensible heart seeth always new occasions of praising God, and some old occasions that must always be remembered, always for life, and peace, and safety, and daily provision; and always for Christ, and the hopes of eternal life. Surely if we have the comfort, God should have the glory.
  • How disingenuous is it to be always craving, and never giving thanks!
  • Oh! let us check this complaining spirit; let us consider what is left, not what God hath taken away; what we may or shall have, not what we now want; what God is, and will be to his people, though we see little or nothing in the creature.
  • The life of a Christian is a life of love and praise, a hymn to God. 



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: