Sunday, December 17, 2017

My Autumn with Psalm 119 #28

I will be continuing on in my study of Psalm 119 this autumn. I have spent months reading Thomas Manton's exposition of Psalm 119. In December, I hope to cover the next sixteen verses of Psalm 119.

49 Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope.
50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.
51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law.
52 I remember, Lord, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them.
53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.
54 Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge.
55 In the night, Lord, I remember your name, that I may keep your law.
56 This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.
57 You are my portion, Lord; I have promised to obey your words.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
64 The earth is filled with your love, Lord; teach me your decrees

Sermon 65 (Psalm 119:58)

  • Our portion is that good which we choose, renouncing all things else;
  • We cannot carry on a good purpose without God’s favour, unless he assist us therein. When we are most resolved, we must expect opposition and assaults both from within and without. The devil will seek all he can to oppose you, and to shake your resolutions, and your lusts will rage anew upon a severe restraint. Therefore those that resolve to enter into a strict course must seek relief from God’s favour and mercy, as David here, I entreated thy favour with my whole heart.’ In the words we have an account of David’s practice upon a choice and resolution; he betook himself to prayer.
  • Here you have— 1. The object or principal thing sought, God’s favour. 2. The manner, with my whole heart, with a sincere affection. He doth not say, with his lips only, but his heart; and not with his heart only, but with his whole heart. 3. The sum of his request, or the fountain of all that he expected from God, be merciful to me. 4. The rule or ground of his expectation, according to thy word. The meaning is, that God, according to his promise, would graciously help him.
  • Doct. God’s people, those that have made him their portion, they earnestly and constantly, above all things, desire his favour.
  • None have such communion with God but they need seek more.
  • The whole drift of the word is to press us to get and keep the sense of God’s love ever fresh in our hearts.
  • Every man prays according to the sense that he hath, according to that which he counts his misery. He that hath a sense of no other calamity but to be poor, scorned, or exposed to contempt, or the absence of the creature, prays accordingly. Sometimes he howls like a dog in pain, or beasts that want food, Hosea vii. 14. But he that hath a deeper sense of his greatest necessities, he is affected with sin. which is the cause of all trouble; therefore he must have the favour of God and the grace of God. A godly and a carnal man differ as a child and a man in their apprehensions about pain and trouble. A child that is sick and would be eased of its present smart and pain, looks to nothing but that; but an understanding man knows the cause must be taken away.
  • A carnal man’s business lies with God sometimes in his trouble; but when he licks himself whole and is at ease, he can live without it. But a godly man’s business is always with God, for God is always with him, in trouble and out of trouble.
  • Secondly, For the manner, I have sought thy favour.’ How? With my whole heart.’ Note— Doct. When we pray for the favour of God, it must be with our whole heart.
  • There is this intended in it— 1. The constant favour and presence of God, we must pray for it, for without prayer faith lies idle. 2. They that pray for it, their hearts must be set upon what they pray. It is not enough that our tongues babble out a cold form, as many learn to pray as parrots speak, by rote. 3. It is not enough that our hearts concur, but our whole hearts must go along with this work. Many times we pray but with half a heart.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: