Friday, December 1, 2017

My Autumn with Psalm 119 #20

I will be continuing on in my study of Psalm 119 this autumn. I have spent months reading Thomas Manton's exposition of Psalm 119. In December, I hope to cover the next sixteen verses of Psalm 119.

49 Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope.
50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.
51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law.
52 I remember, Lord, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them.
53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.
54 Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge.
55 In the night, Lord, I remember your name, that I may keep your law.
56 This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.
57 You are my portion, Lord; I have promised to obey your words.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
64 The earth is filled with your love, Lord; teach me your decrees.

Sermon 55 (Psalm 119:49)

  • Doct. That believers may humbly challenge God upon his word, and seek the full performance of what he hath promised. This point, that it may be managed with respect to this text, I shall give you these considerations:— 1. That God delighteth to promise mercy before he accomplish it; which showeth these things:—[1.] His abundant love. God’s heart is so kindly affected to his people that he cannot stay till the accomplishment of things, but he must tell us aforehand what he meaneth to do for us. [2.] His care for our security; for by his promise he giveth his people a holdfast upon him, as he maketh himself a debtor to them by his own promise, who was otherwise free before such engagement to poor creatures.
  • There is usually some time of delay between making the promise and fulfilling the promise; for therefore God promiseth, because he meaneth to do us good, but not presently.
  • Partly with respect to his own glory, he will do things in their proper season.
  • With respect to us, God will try our faith, whether we can stay on his word, and hug it, and embrace it, till the blessing come.
  • Partly to try our faith to the utmost, to see if we can trust and depend upon God for things which we see not, nor are likely to see. Faith, in the general, is a dependence upon God for something that lieth out of sight.
  • Faith supports us under the greatest pressures; when God seemeth to deal like an enemy, yet even then trusts in God as a friend, and that his dispensations will never give his word the lie.
  • To try our patience as well as our faith. God’s dearest children are not admitted to the enjoyment of the mercies promised presently.
  • We must first do, and sometimes suffer, the will of God. The promises are to come, and at a great distance.
  • Our love, though we be not feasted with felt comforts, nor bribed with present satisfaction and benefits in hand.
  • To enlarge our desires, that we may have the greater sense of our necessities, and value for the blessings promised. A sack that is stretched out holdeth the more.
  • There are in the word of God promises that we may believe, and then promises because we do believe; promises to invite faith and hope, and then promises because we believe in God and hope in his word; promises for faith, and to faith.
  • This trust must be pleaded in prayer.
  • When the promise is urged by the believer, it will be performed by God.
  • There is a double qualification—with respect to the precept of subjection, with respect to the promise of dependence: the precept is before the promise. They have right to the promises, and may justly lay hold upon them, who are God’s servants; they who apply themselves to obey his precepts, these only can regularly apply his promises. None can lay claim to rewarding grace but those that are partakers of his sanctifying grace. Clear that once, that you are God’s servants, and then these promises, which are generally offered, are your own, no less than if your name were inserted in the promise, and written in the Bible.
  • Then let us plead promises; let them not lie by us as a dead stock, but put them in suit, and put God in remembrance.



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: