Monday, January 11, 2016

Bible Review: 1599 Geneva Bible, New Testament

1599 Geneva Bible. Tolle Lege Press. 1366 pages. [Source: Bought]

In 2015, I was able to read the New Testament in three early translations: the Wycliffe New Testament, the Tyndale New Testament, and finally the 1599 Geneva Bible. The 1599 Geneva Bible contains the Old and New Testaments, but, my focus was on completing only the New Testament.

I enjoyed reading this translation. Perhaps I don't love, love, love it like I do other translations. But I have come to appreciate it.

Here are some verses to give you a taste of the translation:
  • Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say, rejoice. Philippians 4:4
  • I am able to do all things through the help of Christ, which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13
  • Do all things without murmuring and reasonings, That ye may be blameless, and pure, and the sons of God without rebuke in the midst of a naughty and crooked nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world, holding forth the word of life, that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither have labored in vain. Philippians 2:14-16
  • For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16
  • Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many dwelling places: if it were not so, I would have told you: I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself, that where I am, there may ye be also. John 14:1-3

No comments: