Sunday, September 6, 2015

Book Review: Newton on the Christian Life

Newton on the Christian Life. Tony Reinke. 2015. Crossway. 288 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I thank the Lord if he makes my writings useful. I hope they contain some of his truths; and truth, like a torch, may be seen by its own light without reference to the hand that holds it. ~ John Newton

Newton on the Christian Life is one of many books in Crossway's Theologians on the Christian Life series. This may just be my favorite so far. And I wasn't exactly expecting it to be my new favorite-favorite book. To be honest, I'd never read anything about John Newton before. But my friend's review of Newton on the Christian Life convinced me that I NEEDED to read this one. I am so glad I did. This may just be my best read of the year--at least so far. It was all kinds of wonderful. It has depth and substance in abundance. Each chapter was positively RICH in truth. In part, I believe this was because Reinke quoted generously from Newton himself. (Most of the quotes come from Newton's letters.) He did a great job at summarizing as well and including his own insights. (Particularly he showed how Newton is still relevant.)

Table of Contents:

  • Amazing Grace
  • Christ All-Sufficient
  • The Daily Discipline of Joy in Jesus
  • Gospel Simplicity
  • Indwelling Sin
  • Christ-Centered Holiness
  • The Growth Chart of the Christian Life
  • Seven Christian Blemishes
  • The Discipline of Trials
  • The Goal of Bible Reading
  • Battling Insecurity
  • Victory Over Spiritual Weariness
  • Victory Over Mr. Self
  • To Die Is Gain

Who should read Newton on the Christian Life?

  • New believers
  • Old believers
  • Mature believers
  • Immature believers

Essentially any believer who reads. Yes, I know that not every single believer is an active reader. Some may not have time to read. Some may lack inclination to read. But some books are just TOO AMAZING to miss. Some books are worth gushing about.

If I shared ALL the quotes I wanted, it would be in the hundreds. I can't bring myself to sort through all of them and choose just two or three. But here is one from the foreword that will tease you perhaps into picking up a copy of this one yourself.
Every step along the path of life is a battle for the Christian to keep two eyes on Christ…I find that to keep my eye simply upon Christ, as my peace, and my life, is by far the hardest part of my calling…I approach the throne of grace encumbered with a thousand distractions of thought, each of which seem to engage more of my attention than the business I have in hand. ~ John Newton

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I've been eyeing this series of books and this one on Newton sounds good! Glad you enjoyed it.

I loved John Newton's autobiography, 'Out of the Depths.' I think you'd would love it too!