Thursday, July 9, 2015

Quotes from the Cloud #27

This year, I hope share weekly posts of quotes. These quotes are from authors I'm reading and enjoying from the Clouds of Witnesses Reading Challenge

For fellow participants, what I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see is for people to share quotes from what they're reading. I'd love for you to share quotes occasionally with your readers and let me know about it. If you don't have a blog, you could always leave quotes in the comments here.
When I am asked what God is, I think I know, but when I try to answer the question, I find that I know nothing. ~ St. Augustine
My sin was all the more incurable because I did not think of myself a sinner. ~ St. Augustine 
I firmly believe that the moment our hearts are emptied of pride and selfishness and ambition and self-seeking and everything that is contrary to God's law, the Holy Spirit will come and fill every corner of our hearts; but if we are full of pride and conceit and ambition and self-seeking and pleasure and the world, there is no room for the Spirit of God; and I believe many a man is praying to God to fill him when he is full already with something else. Before we pray that God will fill us, I believe we ought to pray that He would empty us. There must be an emptying before there can be a filling. And when the heart is turned upside-down and everything that is contrary to God is turned out, then the Spirit will come. ~ D.L. Moody
God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves. ~ D.L Moody

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Annette said...

I recently watched a recording of Joni Eareckson Tada with Charles Swindoll. She said, "We all suffer in this broken world. Why wallow in self-pity?" Lay all our weaknesses at the cross. He gives me peace.
From the book Passing Through be Jeremy Walker, "Our sense of who and what we are will substantially determine our attitudes, affections, appetites, and actions as we make our way in the world...If you do not know who and what you are, you will not know how to behave in your various relationships to the world around you." page 1
"The Christian's existence is not a bed of ease, but often a path of pain, a road of sacrifice." page 81
"Faith prepares to engage, and faith engages when the battle begins." page 95

Becky said...

That's a great quote!