Saturday, May 4, 2013

Book Review: Roses Have Thorns (2013)

Roses Have Thorns: A Novel of Elizabeth I. Sandra Byrd. Simon & Schuster. 336 pages.

I just LOVED this one! I remember really enjoying Sandra Byrd's previous novels in this series--the Ladies in Waiting series, but this one may just be my favorite!!! The first novel is To Die For; the second novel is The Secret Keeper.

The heroine of Roses Have Thorns is Elin von Snakenborg (aka Helena, Marchioness of Northampton). Elin travels to England in the service of a Swedish princess; she remains in Britain to serve Queen Elizabeth. Elin has fallen in love and plans to marry. Until the time her marriage can take place--certain things have to be put in order first--she will joyfully serve Queen Elizabeth. There is some adapting to be done, of course, but Helena does settle into her new life.

Roses Have Thorns is dramatic and romantic. And as you might have come to expect from any book on this time period--politics! If you love reading about the Tudors, then Sandra Byrd's series is a must!!! I've read a handful of books set during Queen Elizabeth's reign, and this is one that presents her at her best and worst. In other words, she's believably human.

I loved so many things about this one!!! I loved getting to know Helena. I loved seeing the details of court life! The writing is wonderful!


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Sandra Byrd said...

Thank you so much for this, Becky! I'm thrilled that you loved the book, and truly appreciate the time and effort you put into reviewing.

Sandra Byrd said...

Thank you so much for this, Becky! I'm thrilled that you loved the book, and truly appreciate the time and effort you put into reviewing.