Friday, April 14, 2017

Book Review: Here I Stand

Here I Stand. A Life of Martin Luther. Roland H. Bainton. 1950. 336 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: On a sultry day in July of the year 1505 a lonely traveler was trudging over a parched road on the outskirts of the Saxon village of Stotterheim. He was a young man, short but sturdy, and wore the dress of a university student. As he approached the village, the sky became overcast. Suddenly there was a shower, then a crashing storm. A bolt of lightning rived the gloom and knocked the man to the ground. Struggling to rise, he cried out in terror, "St. Anne help me! I will become a monk."

Premise/plot: Here I Stand is a classic biography of the reformer Martin Luther. It was first published in 1950, and a well-written biography can be timeless. This book covers a little bit of everything: his life, the controversies and climaxes of his life, his theology, his writing and preaching, his marriage, his politics, etc.

My thoughts: I definitely liked this one. I absolutely loved, loved, loved some chapters of this one. My favorite chapters were chapter 10, "Here I Stand," chapter 17, "The School for Character," chapter 19, "The Church Tutorial," and chapter 20, "The Church Ministerial." I found some chapters harder to follow, harder to enjoy, than others. But when it was good, it was EXCELLENT. I also appreciated the fact that Bainton often quoted Luther.

I am so glad I finally read this one!

Favorite quote: Unless I am convicted by Scripture and plain reason--I do not accept the authority of popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other--my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. God help me. Amen. (144)
© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

I enjoyed this one, too. I need to reread it soon. : )